farangopolis

Thursday, May 19, 2005

I'm alive!

Once again, a long hiatus between writings. No good reason other than being busy with my own school work and teaching. My oral exam is approaching (in almost a week). I have to give a talk about my proposed research in our department this Monday, and I still need to make changes to my proposal, after the feedback I got from my advisor today. In the midst of this craziness, I have a very disorienting cold. But, after not having written in this blog for so long, David visited my Persian blog and left a comment. That was a good clue that I should update my English blog too! (Thanks David!)

The class I teach has come to an end. Half of the students orally presented their final papers on Tuesday, and the other half will do the same next week. Some people's research ideas are so interesting and exciting that I cannot wait to read them. I learned a lot from teaching this class and have enjoyed seeing how much some students have learned. One student is looking at the film "Submission" and the way Muslim women's bodies are used in different Orientalist and fundamentalist discourses around this film. Another student is examining the reviews on the film, "Not without My Daughter" and is looking at politics of representation. A student is looking at the exhibit "Made in Palestine" and is looking at the gendered constructions of the homeland. Another student is interested in why Taliban came up with a particular form of veil (burqa), which is different from other forms (hijab, etc.) She is questioning Taliban's claims about authentic interpretations of Qur'an.... and many other interesting papers.

By the way, I know I have mentioned this book a few times already, but now it is finally out. I bought it today and am looking forward to reading it soon. From flipping through the pages and reading here and there, I can tell you that the book is great.

I better go and take some cold medicine. Who knew breathing could be so difficult?!

|

The sidebar image is taken from Mahmoud Pakzad's "Old Tehran", Did Publishers, 1994. Thanks to Jahanshah Javid (www.iranian.com) for sharing it.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com